COMPETITIVE EXAMS STUDY MATERIAL FOR
SSC, DRDO, DSSSB, UPSC, J.E FOR RAILWAY, DELHI METRO
- FLUID MECHANICS: – That branch of science that deals with the behavior of fluids when the fluid flows in different conditions is known as fluid mechanics.
- CLASSIFICATION OF FLUID MECHANICS
The classification of fluid mechanics are as given below:-
- Hydro kinematics
They can be described as:
- Hydrostatics: – That branch of fluid mechanics which deals with the study of liquid at rest, is known as Hydrostatics.
- Hydro Kinematics: – That branch of fluid mechanics deals with the study of liquid in motion without consideration of forces is known as Hydro-kinematics.
- Hydro-Dynamics: – That branch of fluid mechanics deals with the study of liquid in motion with consideration of forces and motion is known as Hydro-Dynamics.
- CONTINUUM: – Continuum is a homogeneous and continuous fluid medium.
- FLUID: – When a substance continuous deforms under the effect of shear stress is known as fluid.
- TYPES OF FLUID:-
The various types of fluids are as given below:-
- Ideal fluid
- Real fluid
- Newtonian fluid
- Non Newtonian fluid
- Ideal plastic fluid
- Thixotropic substance.
- IDEAL FLUID: – When a fluid has no viscosity, no surface tension and is incompressible, it is known as ideal fluid. It is also known as perfect fluid.
- REAL FLUID: – When a fluid has viscosity, surface tension and compressibility, it is known as real fluid. It is also known as practical fluid.
- NEWTONIAN FLUID: – In a fluid when shear stress is directly proportional to the rate of shear strain, it is known as Newtonian fluid.
- NON-NEWTONIAN FLUID: – In a fluid when shear stress is not directly proportional to the rate of shear strain, it is known as Non-Newtonian fluid.
- IDEAL PLASTIC FLUID: – In a fluid when shear stress is more than the yield value and proportional to the rate of shear strain is known as ideal plastic fluid, it is also known as Bingham fluid.
- THIXOTROPIC FLUID: – A fluid which is non-Newtonian has nonlinear relationship between the shear stress and the rate of angular deformation after an initial yield stress is known as thixotropic fluid.